Saturday, October 28, 2006

Three


This collage began when a piece of 1950s magazine art picturing a little girl and her carriage was lying next to the modern black and white magazine photo of the woman on my counter. The 2 pieces of found paper seemed to be in contradiction to one another. The lifetime changes that a woman can allow or embrace seemed explained in these 2 pieces of paper.

I decided to allow the little girl to provide the only splash of color in the collage. I think this adds a sense of magic to her. I wanted the rest of the collage to stay in the same palette as the background color. The woman in black and white provides a stark contrast. I reinforced the contradiction by facing the woman away from the little girl, as if she is turning her back on the child. The linocut iris print and a wash of gold paint help outline the contrast.

I added the torn playing card, because turning away from your childhood persona is a gamble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home